In 1813 Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson and William Wentworth found a way across the Blue Mountains, reaching what is now Wentworth Falls on Sunday 22nd May 1813.
The job of building a road across the mountains was awarded to William Cox, in 1814. In six months he and his convict workers - who were rewarded with their freedom - built the road 4 metres wide and 170 kms long, from Emu Plains to Bathurst.
Wentworth Falls was originally known as Weatherboard because of the weatherboard construction of the first building in the area. This continued until 1879 when the name became Wentworth Falls due to other towns already having the name of Wentworth.
On 8th October 1814 The Weatherboard Hut was completed at the site on the eastern side of the Jamison Creek, approximately at the rail embankment below the road bridge at Wentworth Falls. It was used to house the men and tools as they pushed the road forward (Blaxland Road). The straight stretch that borders the BMHS was constructed by Lt Thomas Hobby, and called by Cox Hobby's Reach.
The hut was in use as a military post, by soldiers stationed there to check passes allowing travelers to use the road. It ceased to be used in approximately 1832.
The Weatherboard Inn raised the standard of accommodation in 1827.
The site is on the southern border of Pitt Park, on the western side of Jamison Creek. It was built in 1827 when licenses were not yet issued. The first license was issued in 1833 and it was named The Bathurst Traveller.
On 17th January 1836, after tethering his horse at The Weatherboard Inn, Charles Darwin walked to the Wentworth Falls along the wooded valley (now known as Darwin's Walk). On 23rd January, on his return from Bathurst en-route to Sydney, he stayed overnight at The Weatherboad Inn.
It was not named The Weatherboard Inn until 1847 and was in operation until 1867 when the railway arrived, causing the closure of most of the inns.
Except where otherwise stated or where material has passed into the public domain, all content
C 2002 Blue Mountains Historical Society Inc, P.O. Box 17, Wentworth Falls, NSW 2782.
Images are from the BMHS collection, except where otherwise stated.